What is an Au Pair ?
The au pair program is a unique cultural exchange experience for both the au pair and the host family.
The actual term “au pair” means ‘on par’ or “equal to” in French and that is exactly what being an au pair is all about – becoming an equal member of the host family during their placement.
Looking after children and integrating with the host family in a caring home environment gives the au pair the incredible opportunity to learn about a different culture while also sharing their own.
Au Pairs live as part of a family, and Australia offers a fantastic experience full of beautiful city/landscapes and alluring beaches.
The following criteria need to be met to be an au pair:
- An au pair can be both male or female
- An au pair is between the age of 18 and 30 (to meet Visa requirements)
- Must be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa or Work and Holiday Visa.
- A typical au pair placement is 6 months
- Have childcare and/or babysitting experience (references)
- Provide a clean police record
- Be in good health
- Basic English language knowledge
Why use a CAPAA Agency?
All our Agency Members are experienced, professional and focused on your safety and care to ensure the au pair placement is a success and the au pair has a great time in Australia.
Some of the benefits our agency members offer:
- Ongoing and local support once the au pair arrives
- Fully vetted Host Families
- Emergency contacts in case of any problems
- Re-matches with new families if required
- Access to social events
- Training and orientation programs
There are many ways to find your own family online and on social media, and whilst au pairs may find the perfect family this way – if there is a problem with the host family there is no support and au pairs can feel isolated and alone without the support of an Agency.
If you are interested in becoming an Au Pair in Australia, please check the list of Au Pair Agencies in your home country who are approved by the International Au Pair Association IAPA or apply directly to one of our Australian CAPAA Agencies.
To be an Au Pair you must be eligible to work in Australia – check if you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa or Work and Holiday Visa.